Recently, I was asked,
What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
Immediately, my mind went to a journey I had taken. A 19,341-foot-journey up Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. I had done the climb with my father, a group of climbers and an experienced guide. It was a grueling climb that required months of preparation and a strong body and mind.
We made it to the summit and a picture of my dad and me from that day sits on my dresser as a reminder of our perseverance, dedication, hard work, and the incredible experience.
Looking at that photo, I often reflect back on the lessons I learned from that climb:
I can do hard things.
Ask for encouragement when you need it.
Find beauty in unexpected places.
Things that seem permanent are not.
For some journeys, we need a guide.
Most importantly, I learned to move slowly, to take one step and then another.
There are much harder things than climbing a mountain—just look back at the last six months, and you will find many. But as we continue to face adversity and challenges, I hope you can take the story of my journey and remind yourself to just keep moving forward, slowly, slowly.
Please listen to my mediation video, where I tell the story of this journey.
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Amber Berry: Head of Middle School ( 2 )
- Beth Yavenditti: Director of Global Education ( 3 )
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Chris Mantz: 5th-Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 2 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Ginny Bachman: Director of Admission ( 4 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jane Olsen: Fifth Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Associate Head of School & Chief Financial Officer ( 5 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 19 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 9 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School ( 37 )
- Michael Mitchell: designLab Director ( 2 )
- Mike West: Athletics Director ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 4 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 2 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- Moral Compass
- Lifelong Learning
- private school
- Moral Courage
- Above and Beyond
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Student Voices
- Parents as Partners
- College Admissions
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Civil Discourse
- Private School Admissions
- Spaces for Learning