How Nike Became Nike: Charlie Denson's Leadership Lessons
Charlie Denson thought he'd spend a couple of years working at the small sneaker chain in Oregon, and then he'd "find a real job, at a real company." Two years turned into thirty-five and that little chain called Nike grew into the world's most famous athletic brand. Denson shared his incredible journey from Assistant Store Manager to Nike Brand President with St. Luke's students as part of the Center for Leadership Lunch & Lead series.
St. Luke's parent and trustee Chris Wearing introduced Denson and his legacy of tying Nike to high profile athletes. Denson and his team created unforgettable branding campaigns featuring high-profile athletes including: Bo Jackson, John McEnroe, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Maria Sharapova, LeBron James, and Tiger Woods.
Among many questions Denson fielded during Lunch & Lead were two standouts: 1) Which athlete had the biggest impact on Nike? 2) How did the swoosh become synonymous with Nike?
Watch Denson's responses below...
More from former Nike Brand President Charlie Denson:
Charlie Denson mentors entrepreneurial students in St. Luke's Leadership Lab.
Parent and Trustee Chris Wearing facilitates the CFL's Lunch & Lead with Charlie Denson
See the full Lunch & Lead with Charlie Denson Photo Gallery
Visit St. Luke's Lunch & Lead to discover more leadership experiences shared by guest speakers from a wide range of industries and fields.
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Amber Berry: Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Beth Yavenditti: Director of Global Education ( 1 )
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Chris Mantz: 5th-Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 2 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Ginny Bachman: Director of Admission ( 4 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jane Olsen: Fifth Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Associate Head of School & Chief Financial Officer ( 5 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 16 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 7 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School ( 29 )
- Michael Mitchell: designLab Director ( 2 )
- Mike West: Athletics Director ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 5 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 2 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- Lifelong Learning
- private school
- Moral Compass
- Moral Courage
- Above and Beyond
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Parents as Partners
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Student Voices
- College Admissions
- Private School Admissions
- Spaces for Learning