Knowing how to study efficiently and effectively is a key difference between people who achieve their academic goals and those who don't. Some students seem to take to studying without much effort, while others find sitting still, focusing and delaying gratification next to impossible.
Wherever one falls on the study spectrum, there are foundational practices that may vastly improve comprehension and performance. These include creating an environment conducive to studying, planning ahead, establishing a routine, minimizing distractions, and the tried and true rewriting of class notes.
These tips are explored in the downloadable guide below.
Studying—like most challenges—is something you can get better and better at with some planning and perseverance. If you are not the student you want to be yet, these tips can help you reach your goals.
St. Luke's students can get more study advice and resources via St. Luke's Education Support Services.
Families new to St. Luke's can use the button below to download the guide. If you are a St. Luke's family, go to the Resource Board to access guide.
St. Luke’s is a private, secular (non-religious) independent school in New Canaan, CT serving grades 5-12. St. Luke’s mission: An exceptional education that inspires a deep love of learning, a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve, and the confidence to lead. Sign Up Today to Visit St. Luke's
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Amber Berry: Head of Middle School ( 2 )
- Beth Yavenditti: Director of Global Education ( 3 )
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Chris Mantz: 5th-Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 2 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Ginny Bachman: Director of Admission ( 4 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jane Olsen: Fifth Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Associate Head of School & Chief Financial Officer ( 5 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 18 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 9 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School ( 36 )
- Michael Mitchell: designLab Director ( 2 )
- Mike West: Athletics Director ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 4 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 2 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- Lifelong Learning
- Moral Compass
- private school
- Moral Courage
- Above and Beyond
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Student Voices
- Parents as Partners
- College Admissions
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Civil Discourse
- Private School Admissions
- Spaces for Learning