Rich Riley speaks with St. Luke's Students
There were early signs of Rich Riley’s entrepreneurial streak. As a 12-year-old, Riley began mowing neighbors’ lawns. When a few clients turned into a thriving, profitable business, young Riley started a revenue spreadsheet. He has maintained that spreadsheet throughout a stellar career that includes stockbroker at age 18, Wharton School of Business graduate, Wall Street investor, and co-founder of an app that sold to Yahoo! where Riley became an executive for 13 years.
Today, Riley is CEO of Shazam, the wildly popular music and TV recognition app, used by hundreds of millions globally. The app, recently acquired by Apple, is the inspiration behind the new hit show Beat Shazam with Jamie Foxx. Riley is Executive Producer of the show.
Riley, a trustee and parent at St. Luke’s School in New Canaan, recently spoke with students as part of the school’s Center for Leadership Lunch & Lead series. He shared four pieces of leadership advice that have served him well:
4 Leadership Tips from Shazam CEO Rich Riley
Shazam CEO Rich Riley is St. Luke's Center for Leadership Lunch & Lead guest speaker.
A packed Lunch & Lead event: students learn leadership advice from Rich Riley, CEO of Shazam.
Rich Riley and his wife Michelle live in New Canaan with their four children Alexandra '20, Michael '22, Matthew '25 and Luke (pictured above: Alexandra, Michelle, Rich, and Michael).
Visit St. Luke's Lunch & Lead to discover more leadership experiences shared by guest speakers from a wide range of industries and fields.
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Chris Mantz: 5th-Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 1 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Ginny Bachman: Director of Admission ( 4 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Asst. Head of School for Finance & Operations ( 4 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 6 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 6 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School ( 23 )
- Michael Mitchell: designLab Director ( 1 )
- Mike West: Athletics Director ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 5 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- private school
- Lifelong Learning
- Moral Compass
- Above and Beyond
- Moral Courage
- Parents as Partners
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Student Voices
- College Admissions
- Private School Admissions
- Spaces for Learning