“St. Luke’s will shine for putting students’ health, agency, and leadership at the center of its vision for the future. What better way to make school joyful. What better way to build a community in which everyone belongs…really and truly belongs. What better way to prepare students to thrive–in school, in career, in life.”
These were my closing thoughts after watching Kari Olsen, Liz Perry, Jacqueline Nelson, and Jim Foley bring the Strategic Plan 2021: Prepared to Thrive to life during St. Luke’s 20th State of the School. As I said that evening, “If there’s to be a legacy for the last twenty years, that one feels good—and St. Luke’sian.”
With retirement on my horizon, this year will be filled with lasts. My last first day of school, my last fall plays, Homecoming and Blues Band (I’m not counting the times I’ll sneak back on campus next year). I simply cannot imagine a better, more meaningful last State of the School than this one.
The State of the School 2021 broadcast recording.
Distinguished Faculty Award recipient Patrick Raffaele with Mark Davis and Board Chair Jennifer L. Foster.
Head-elect Mary Halpin Carter addresses the St. Luke's community for the first time.
Parents' Association State of the School 2021 Reception Committee
Click here to see additional photos from St. Luke's 20th State of the School program and reception.
St. Luke's is a secular (non-religious) private school in New Canaan, CT, for grades 5-12. St. Luke's mission is an exceptional education that inspires a deep love of learning, a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve, and the confidence to lead. St. Luke's Center for Leadership advances our mission by helping students develop exceptional leadership ability.
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Amber Berry: Head of Middle School ( 2 )
- Beth Yavenditti: Director of Global Education ( 3 )
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 2 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jacqueline Nelson: Director of Equity and Inclusion ( 1 )
- Jane Olsen: Fifth Grade Teacher (retired) ( 1 )
- Jason Giffen: Director of Enrollment Management ( 4 )
- Jessie Samuel, Fifth Grade Science Teacher ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Joshua Schneider, Upper School Science Teacher ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Associate Head of School & Chief Financial Officer ( 5 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 21 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 9 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School Emeritus ( 17 )
- Mary Halpin Carter: Head of School ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 4 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 2 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- Moral Compass
- Moral Courage
- private school
- Lifelong Learning
- Above and Beyond
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Student Voices
- College Admissions
- Civil Discourse
- Parents as Partners
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Private School Admissions
- student-led learning
- middle school