It’s always good to be here, but this year the return of the St. Luke’s community is bringing me extra, deeply appreciated comfort.
Greeting new students and families during New Student Orientation
The summer was unsettling: Charlottesville, North & South Korea, Hurricane Harvey, a divided government and what feels like ubiquitous unrest. Constant reminders that though my family is around me and safe, many others around the world—and right next door—are not safe and secure.
I confessed to our faculty that I have been feeling unmoored. What’s happening in the world?
But the return to school, and more specifically, to our mission, has reconnected me to purpose. It has become an anchor.
An exceptional education that inspires a deep love of learning, a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve, and the confidence to lead.
These words light the way in our little piece of the world. These words will shape the education of the 567 young people who entered our school today. And—if we do our jobs right—when they leave St. Luke’s, they will have the smarts, confidence and compassion to go forth and serve and make the world better than it is right now.
That thought has turned anxiety into optimism. The potential for good streaming through these hallways right now is breathtaking. So let’s get to it.
Leave a comment
Get our latest blog posts!
- Amber Berry: Head of Middle School ( 2 )
- Beth Yavenditti: Director of Global Education ( 3 )
- Carrie Meatto: Spanish Teacher ( 1 )
- Chris Mantz: 5th-Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Dan Clarke: Sports Information Specialist ( 1 )
- Daphne Teittinen-Schreck: ESS Director ( 1 )
- Dr. Jason Haynes: History Chair ( 2 )
- Dr. Stephanie Bramlett: Former Director of Inclusive Excellence ( 2 )
- Gareth Fancher: Director of Emotional Intelligence ( 1 )
- Georgia Rosenberg '19: Student ( 1 )
- Ginny Bachman: Director of Admission ( 4 )
- Hunter Martin: Summer Program Director ( 1 )
- Jane Olsen: Fifth Grade Teacher ( 1 )
- Jim Foley: Asst. Head of School for Leadership & Innovation ( 2 )
- Jim Yavenditti: Director of Studies ( 1 )
- Julia Gabriele: Associate Head of School & Chief Financial Officer ( 5 )
- Kate Parker-Burgard: Director of the Center for Leadership ( 18 )
- Liz Perry: Head of Upper School ( 9 )
- Mark Chuhta: Asst. Head of Middle School ( 1 )
- Mark Davis: Head of School ( 36 )
- Michael Mitchell: designLab Director ( 2 )
- Mike West: Athletics Director ( 1 )
- Nancy Troeger: Director of Marketing and Communications ( 4 )
- Sonia Bell: Director of College Counseling ( 2 )
- Stephen Vehslage: Associate Director of College Counseling ( 1 )
- Students: Jack Briggs '21 and Liam Patty '21 ( 1 )
- Tom Owen: English Teaching Fellow ( 1 )
- Gareth Fancher ( 1 ) [Show All]
Posts by Topic
- Innovation in Education
- Lifelong Learning
- Moral Compass
- private school
- Moral Courage
- Above and Beyond
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Global Perspective
- Student Voices
- Parents as Partners
- College Admissions
- Postive (Alumni) Outcomes
- Civil Discourse
- Private School Admissions
- Spaces for Learning